Company Capabilities & Corporate Social Responsibility Overview 2022
Our Collective Approach
As a global leader in antimicrobial and conductivity solutions for soft surface applications, we find ourselves in a great position to help our global partners develop responsible products for people and planet. We’ve been developing, innovating, and researching biomaterial science for over 25 years. Along the way, we’ve looked at the issues, the possibilities, and the protections needed to be in place to ensure product integrity and efficacy. The journey is ongoing, and the change is constant. We have established our Sustainable Working Committee made up of senior management to make sure we deliver on the best practices in sustainability, social responsibility, and regulation.
We have amassed a lot of data. As we continue to research and chart the course for best practices, we have dedicated this page to reference what we’re doing, what we’re following, and where we want to go.
Sustainable Benefits of Our Technology
- Garments using Noble’s antimicrobial technology inhibit odor-causing bacterial growth so they can be laundered less frequently. Less laundering means less energy and water usage which results in longer product life. (Example: Washing one garment 30% less can save 50 gallons of water annually. (Based on 6.5 ounces of fabric)
- Skipping a wash or two, can have real tangible impacts particularly on an annual compounding basis. Not only do we drastically reduce water and energy usage, our fabrics last longer which reduces waste.
- Buy Less, Pack Less, Save More, Play More. When you have garments that are self-cleaning of microbes, you can buy less and pack less when you travel. Saving you money to spend on other activities.
- X-STATIC® & Ionic+™ technologies are inherent, meaning their functionality is permanently bound to the yarn and fabrics, ensuring the value will hold for the life of the garments so fewer garments have to be purchased.
- Anti-odor technology can allow for greater flexibility in the use of an individual garment, meaning fewer items are needed. This can make travel easier and reduce energy use as less items are transported.
- Noble’s technologies are based on the power of silver – basic elemental silver – not synthetic chemicals or nanotechnology.
- Noble yarn and fiber products can be made with recycled polymers.
- Extended life and use. Products made with Ionic+ Permanent yarn solutions extend product performance that allows for resale and reuse far beyond initial purchase. Products carry antimicrobial protection for the life of the garment. The technology never washes out for the same owner, or new owner.
Silver: A Versatile Naturally Occurring Element
Let’s start with education and facts: Starting the conversation about the elements – click here to learn more about the difference between Colloidal “Nano” Silver and Ionic Silver.
We never use Colloidal “Nano” Silver. The elements are in our name Ionic+.
At the heart of Noble’s technologies is silver, a naturally occurring element. We are committed to the use of silver and silver ions because the functional qualities of silver support superior performance and sustainability.
Pure silver has the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of all metals, has the lowest contact resistance[i], and is naturally antimicrobial. Even ancient civilizations knew of silver’s health benefits (what we now recognize as bactericidal properties[ii]) and silver has been used as a preservative for millennia. At Noble, we harness the functional powers of silver in several novel ways.
At the molecular level, in the presence of a catalyst, such as moisture or heat, silver becomes available as silver ions (Ag+), which, at very low concentrations, can act as a powerful antimicrobial agent. When integrated into fibers and fabrics through Noble’s proprietary manufacturing processes, silver can be a highly effective, skin-safe, and permanent solution. For performance apparel, this helps to eliminate unwanted odors and impact the long-term performance of these apparel products. In advanced wound care applications, silver can help prepare the wound for closure by managing the microbial contamination at the wound site. In healthcare soft surfaces, it can help promote a safer environment by permanently inhibiting the growth of bacteria and fungi and minimizing bacterial cross-contamination.
Because of silver’s high conductivity, it is also ideal for use in the rapidly growing wearable technology industry. In such applications, the silver yarn or fabric facilitates signal transmission from the body through the garment to biometric monitoring devices.
In industrial, automotive, aerospace, military, and electronics industries, our silver yarns and fabrics are highly effective at conducting electricity, dissipating static, and providing EMI shielding in applications where data transmission networks, electronics, and soldiers require protection from interference or interception. It is safe and cost-effective solution using a naturally occurring element. The technology can be used as both a sensor and a conductive pathway.